Disability Services

The Office for Students with Disabilities

The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) provides accommodations for students with disabilities. OSD counselors and advisors also provide strategies for academic success; individual, career, and academic counseling services as well as referrals to campus and community services and assistance with admission and registration.

It is not necessary that a student with a disability disclose his/her disability to college officials if he/she is not requesting any accommodations.

OSD is federally funded through the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Federal Grant.

NCTC is committed to making its degree and certificate programs accessible to all qualified persons in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and The Rehabilitation Act (1973), Section 504.

Student Resources

You are eligible for disability support services if you have the following. 

  • a physical, mental, or psychological impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities
  • documentation of such an impairment
  • registered for services with the OSD

Students with a disability who require academic accommodations or assistance should contact OSD for an appointment as soon as possible. In this appointment, you will discuss documentation requirements, reasonable accommodations, and procedures for notifying instructors. All services are voluntary and must be requested by the student. Services provided are based on the individual need of each student and may include assistance with:

  • Academic advising, counseling, and support
  • Adaptive technology (computer hardware, and software)
  • Audio or e-text (if eligible)
  • Career counseling
  • Classroom interpreters for the deaf
  • Electronic Books (when available)
  • Note takers, scribes, or readers
  • Physical Accessibility
  • Printed material in Braille
  • Large print
  • Testing accommodations in testing center
  • Assistance in obtaining additional services or help through other resources

To schedule an appointment on any NCTC campus, please call the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) office at the number listed above. Appointments can be made at any campus.

Request Services

New Students

Accommodations require advance preparation.  Please make your request before the semester begins. 

Documentation is required before any accommodations can be provided.  Depending on your diagnosis, this documentation should come from a medical doctor, psychologist or other licensed or properly credentialed professional.

Current Students

Contact the OSD at the beginning of each semester well in advance of registration.

Contact Us

Please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.

Corinth & Flower Mound Campuses

Location: Room 160 | (940) 498-6224

Wayne Smith
OSD Director
(940) 498-6207
Fax (940) 498-6404


Gainesville, Bowie & Graham Campuses

Location: Room 111 | (940) 668-3300

Yvonne Sandmann
OSD Advisor
(940) 668-3300
Fax (940) 668-3326

Mary Martinson
Dean of Instruction & Student Success
(940) 668-4209

Students Frequently Asked Questions

What does the OSD do? add

The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) provides support services for students with disabilities. These support services might be appropriate and reasonable accommodations, such as sign language interpreters, readers, scribes, etc., or the support services may be in the form of personal counseling, academic counseling, and/or career counseling. The OSD also provides resource information, disability-related information, and adaptive technology for students who qualify. The OSD does not offer disability evaluation and/or testing services, scholarships, or payment of personal expenses.

What constitutes a disability? add

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 define disability as "a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities." Learning is considered a major life activity.

What should I know when applying to NCTC? Are there any special procedures? add

When applying to NCTC, you may go through the regular admissions procedures and register during early or regular registration. If you need assistance, the OSD can assist with admission and registration, however, there are no special admission procedures. When taking the TSI Assessment, THEA, or other standardized test, you can contact the College Board to receive accommodations on the test. The OSD Coordinator can assist you in applying for accommodations.

Do I have to take the TSI Assessment if I was exempt from STARR/TAAS/TAKS in High School? add

If you have not taken the STAAR, TAKS, the SAT, or the ACT and scored in the range of NCTC's admission requirement, you must take the TSI Assessment test for admission to NCTC. You don't have to pass the test, but you do have to take it. However, if you do not pass the test, you will be required to enroll in developmental education courses or potentially Adult Basic Education courses.

If you are planning to enroll in one of NCTC's certificate programs, you will not be required to take the TSI Assessment.

The TSI Assessment test is administered on all NCTC Campuses through Testing Services, however, NCTC is not an accommodation site for the TSI Assessment. This means that you will need to apply for accommodations through the College Board. The OSD Coordinator can assist in the application process.

You must make requests for accommodations at least one week in advance. You will also need to submit documentation of your disability to the OSD Coordinator, to determine the appropriate accommodations for the test. Please contact the OSD Coordinator for more information at (940) 498-6207.

What should I do if I suspect I have a disability and want to receive accommodations? add

To receive accommodations, you will need to meet with the OSD Coordinator or Advisor either before the semester begins or some time during the semester. The OSD Coordinator or Advisor will conduct an intake session and request documentation of your disability to determine what accommodations will be most appropriate for you.

To contact the OSD Coordinator on the Corinth Campus call (940) 498-6207.

To contact the OSD Specialist on the Gainesville Campus call (940) 668-3300.

What is acceptable documentation? add

The OSD will assess your documentation and let you know if it is acceptable or unacceptable. For the most part, documentation should be current (within the past three to five years). It should be from a certified professional in the medical field, psychological field, or educational field, include a diagnosis, show a medical history of the disability, and it should list the functional limitations resulting from the disability.

What kinds of accommodations are available? add

After assessing your documentation, the OSD will determine the most appropriate accommodations for you. We can provide sign language interpreters, readers and/or scribes for tests, extra time on tests, an alternate testing environment, electronic texts and/or books on tape/CD, note taker services, registration assistance, adaptive technology services, etc.

The OSD is a resource for tutoring services, disability information, learning styles evaluations, community resources, study skills and time management resources, and various college services.

I received accommodations in High School and had an IEP. Can I use the IEP as documentation? add

The IEP, albeit a valuable resource, cannot be used as documentation. NCTC will accept the Comprehensive Evaluation from the high school, provided it is complete, contains testing information, and is current.

What role do my parents play in the process? add

If you are over the age of 18, you are legally recognized as an adult. The OSD staff will meet with the student for an intake session to discuss accommodation requests and/or disability-related services. OSD staff are happy to answer parents' questions after the intake session is complete. However, we encourage students to have an open dialog with their parents. Parents may be an excellent source of support.

I have a physical disability and have trouble getting around. What types of accommodations are geared just for me? add

Students with physical disabilities are encouraged to register with the OSD every semester, so they can evaluate your class schedule and make sure all classes are scheduled in accessible buildings.