Federal Grants

Pell Grant

At North Central Texas College, Pell Grants are available to undergraduate student pursuing most 1-Year Certificate and 2-Year Associates Degree Programs offered by the college. Unlike a loan, Pell Grants do not have to be repaid. However, there are some instances where a student may have to pay all or part of their Pell Grant back to the school.  This includes withdrawing from classes, reducing course load, never attending class, quits attending class or withdraws completely from all classes prior to the completion of the semester. Students should apply at Federal Student Aid.

Other Types of Grants Available

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is available to students with the most financial need. NCTC usually awards students $300 per semester. Funds are awarded on a first-come first serve basis so students should apply for financial aid early to be considered for this grant. FSEOG is not available during the summer term.

To receive an FSEOG award, students must have a financial aid application on file with NCTC. Students who qualify for Federal Pell Grant and have the most financial need receive FSEOG. FSEOG is a grant and does not need to be repaid.

State Grants All Funds Are Limited

Texas Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG)

TEOG monies are offered to students who demonstrate the greatest financial need based on a priority EFC that is set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The calculated priority EFC for 2020-2021 is $6047. To receive an award, students must be enrolled in at least 6 hours, have attempted less than 30 college credit hours, be seeking an associate's degree or certificate, and not eligible for the Texas Grant Program.The semester award maximum for 2020-2021 is $1655 per semester.

Use of Funds

Financial Aid funds can only be used to pay for educational expenses at the school you attend. Education expenses include school charges such as tuition, room and board, fees and indirect expenses such as books, supplies, equipment, dependent child care expenses, transportation and rental or purchase of a personal computer.

Apply for the Pell Grant

All students have to apply for a Pell Grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once completed you may be required to submit copies of various income documents, if requested. Some of these may include: tax return transcripts from you, your spouse, and/or your parents, documentation regarding other untaxed income, such as Social Security, TANF, Food Stamps, and Child Support Payments. Otherwise, there are no additional forms or documents specific to NCTC to be awarded federal grants and/or student loans.

Other Requirements

In order to be awarded a Pell Grant at NCTC, you need to complete an Admissions Application and have your High School transcript or G.E.D., as well as all other college (or trade school) transcripts, on file at the Registrar's office. Your Admissions Application must also indicate that you are a degree or certificate seeking student.

To receive a Pell Grant

You are not required to be a full-time student (12 hours) to receive a Pell Grant. However, if you are enrolled less than full-time, your Pell Grant will be prorated to match your enrollment status. Please see the table below to determine what percentage of your total award you will receive based on your enrollment status. 

Pell Grant Proration
Hours Enrolled Enrollment Status Pell Percentage
less than 6 hours Part-Time 25%
6 hours - 8 hours Half-Time 50%
9 hours - 11 hours Three Quarter Time 75%
12 hours or more Full-Time 100%

NOTE  Pell Grant, FSEOG and TEOG awards all prorate based on the number of hours you are taking.

Summer Pell

Summer Pell Grants are available to students who have remaining pell grant eligibility due to attending school part-time. Also, summer Pell Grants are available to students who qualify for Year-Round Pell Grant. This program allows students to receive up to 150% of their scheduled award. Students must be in good Financial Aid Standing and enrolled in at least 6 college credit hours.