Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who is eligible for financial aid? add
  • U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens
  • High schools graduates or have a GED
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required
  • Enrolled in a degree seeking program
  • Make satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be in default on an educational loan
Do I have to wait until I am admitted to the college before I apply for financial aid? add

No, apply as soon as possible after January 1 and list the codes for all schools that you are considering on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). North Central Texas College Federal School Code is 003558.You will not receive a North Central Texas College Financial Aid award letter until you have been accepted to NCTC.

When and how will I receive my financial aid at NCTC? add

Financial aid funds are electronically credited to a student's bill as long as the aid has been accepted in the NCTC Financial Aid Portal and all loan required documents have been received. If a student has more financial aid than college charges, the balance will be distributed approximately 30 days after classes start to the multifunctional Student ID MasterCard (unless the student designates another financial institution). First-time loan borrowers will receive a delay in disbursements.

I still owe money for the installment plan; will my Financial Aid be applied to my remaining balance? add

Yes. When your financial aid is posted to your account, any unpaid institutional charges (tuition and fees, books and dorm/meal plan) will be paid before you receive any credit balances.

Will Financial Aid pay for all the classes I want to take? add

In order to receive financial aid, you must be taking classes that work toward a degree or certificate offered at NCTC. If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward their degree or certificate, they cannot be used to determine enrollment status.

I have not passed the TSIA2 test will Financial Aid pay for remedial classes? add

Financial aid will pay for 30 hours of remedial coursework. Remedial hours attempted beyond the 30 hour limit will not be included in the student course load for determining enrollment status.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year? add

Yes. Financial Aid Applications for the new school year open on October 1st of the prior year.

How much will my family be expected to contribute towards my yearly college costs? add

This will depend on several factors such as your EFC (Expected Family Contribution), your loan level, types of benefits and other resources you have available. North Central Texas College will put together a financial aid package that comes as close as possible to meeting your need. Once you have received notification of your awards, you and your family can determine how much money your family will need to contribute. We encourage you use our Net Price Calculator

Net Price Calculator

How is financial need determined? add

A simple formula determines your need at North Central Texas College: cost of attendance minus Expected Family Contribution minus any other financial aid equals financial need.

Can I get financial aid for summer? add

You will be eligible for summer financial aid if you have not already reached your maximum annual or aggregate limits on loans and Pell Grants during the fall and spring semesters.

What is satisfactory academic progress? add

To maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress you must be completing an acceptable percentage (67%) of attempted course work. In addition, you must have an adequate GPA (2.0).

What will happen to my financial aid if I drop a class? add

The amount of Pell Grant that you receive is based on the number of hours you are currently taking. If you drop a class before the census date, your award eligibility will be reduced if it changes your attendance status (full-time, three-quarter time, half-time). Dropping a class can reduce your Pell Grant and could also impact your future loan level. Loan recipients who drop below half time will start using their loan grace period. Dropping a class can also create satisfactory academic progress problems, and you might not be eligible for any future financial aid assistance.

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from all classes at North Central Texas College? add

If you are receiving Federal Student Aid and completely withdraw from the college, you may be required to pay back the unearned portion of the money. To avoid any penalty, you must complete at least 60% of the semester. Always check with North Central Texas College Financial Aid Office for specific details. Withdrawal can create satisfactory academic progress problems causing an automatic cancellation of any pending financial aid.

When I complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), what types of financial aid am I considered for? add

Once North Central Texas College Office of Financial Aid receives your FAFSA information, they will determine if you are eligible for the following types of financial aid.

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal work study
Should I wait to file my FAFSA until my taxes are done? add

North Central Texas College priority processing deadline is June 1st. You want to meet this deadline to be considered for all types of aid. If you do not have your tax returns completed by mid March, you can estimate income figures on the FAFSA. However, it is best to complete your tax return early and provide accurate information. This will avoid corrections and delays in processing your aid.

What if I can't find my tax return, where can I get a copy? add

There are two easy methods to request your tax return transcript, first you can call 1-800-829-1040 and choose the option "Your Personal Account Information". You can also request a tax return transcript at

What if I didn't list NCTC federal school code on my FAFSA? How do I get the information to the Financial Aid Office? add

Go to and choose "make corrections" on the FAFSA website, add our school code (003558) to your application and submit the correction. You will need your FSA ID for this option. Another option is to replace or insert our school code (003558) on your paper SAR (Student Aid Report) and mail it back to the processor. The paper SAR must be signed by you, and, if you are a dependent student, your parent. You may call 1-800-433-3233 to make the school code change. You will need your data release number (DRN) for this option. The DRN is the four-digit number located in the bottom left hand corner of the SAR.

If my parents are separated or divorced, who should complete the parent's information on the FAFSA? add

The parent you lived with most in the last 12 months should complete the FAFSA. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, answer in terms of the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually were supported by a parent. Support includes money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car, medical and dental care, payment for college costs, etc.

If my parent has remarried, do I have to include my stepparent's information on the FAFSA? add

Yes, if your parent is married on the day you completed the FAFSA.

My parents do not claim me on their tax forms. Do I need to include their information on the FAFSA? add

Yes. See the definition of an independent student in the next section.

I am really independent. Why do I have to apply for financial aid using my parent's information? add

The definition of "Independent" is defined specifically by the law. You will automatically be considered independent for financial aid purposes if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • You are 24 years old.
  • You are married on the date you complete the FAFSA (answer "Yes" if you are separated but not divorced).
  • Supports a child.
  • At the beginning of the school year, you will be working on a graduate, doctorate or master's degree program.
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed forces.

You are considered a veteran if you:

  • Have engaged in active service in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
  • Is a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for purposes other than training.
  • Were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies and were released under a condition other than dishonorable.
I'm going to be married during the school year. Can I fill out my FAFSA as "Married" now since I will be married in a few months? add

No. You must accurately report marital status at the time you complete the FAFSA. You might want to wait and complete your FAFSA after you are married. Consult with your financial aid advisor on this situation.

Are loans considered financial aid? add

Yes, loans are part of the federal student aid program and considered financial aid.

What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loan? add

The federal government is responsible for the interest that accumulates while you are in college at least half time with a subsidized Stafford Loan. You are responsible for the interest that accumulates while you are in college with an unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

How many hours do I have to be enrolled in to qualify for a Stafford Loan? add

Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least six undergraduate hours.

What will happen to my Stafford Loan if I drop below half time? add

You will go into your grace period starting the date you drop below half time and any future disbursements will be canceled. You will also be required to complete exit counseling.

Are there other websites to look for scholarships and additional resources? add

Yes! Here are a few websites.
Federal Student Aid Gateway-the source for free information, guidance and tools for federal student assistance-from the U.S. Department of Education's office of Federal Student Aid. (Texas State Financial Aid)
Information about State Programs. This website has additional information about state grants, exemptions, and waivers.
Basic Financial Aid information, scholarship search, financial aid calculators, etc. (NASFAA)
Basic Financial Aid information for parents, students, and high school counselors. (Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation)
Great basic information for students of all ages. (Information about your previous student loan)
Students with Previous loans can get information about who owns their loan, how much they owe, etc. (FastWeb)
Good Scholarship Search program.
Scholarships for undocumented students.
Scholarships for undocumented students. (Internal Revenue Service)
Tax information. (Selective Service)
Men between the ages of 18-26 are required to register with selective service.

FAA Code of Conduct


Students in search of scholarships to pay for college may find some of the links here useful; however, this information is provided for informational purposes only. Inclusion does not constitute endorsement. Neither the Office of Financial Aid nor North Central Texas College can guarantee the accuracy or the timeliness of information found at any of the links above. It is critical that students verify information, particularly where deadlines are concerned.