Hazlewood Exemption for Texas Veterans

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.

Spouses and dependent children of eligible Active Duty, Reserve, and Texas National Guard who died in the line of duty or as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service, are missing in action, or who became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of a service-related injury or illness are entitled to each receive a 150 credit hours exemption.

Eligible veterans must have been a resident of Texas at enlistment and must provide official military documentation to prove eligibility for the exemption. Veterans must serve more than 180 days of active duty service, excluding training, and discharge must be characterized as "honorable" or "general, under honorable conditions."

Veterans or dependents must provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for VA education benefits. Verification may be obtained by calling the VA Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551.

Contact the Texas Veterans Commission for more information about the Hazlewood Act and other education benefits for Texas veterans. Call (877) 898-3833 or email hazlewood@tvc.texas.gov

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours. This requirement does not apply to the spouse of a MIA, KIA, or service connected deceased Veteran.

The Office of Financial Aid will monitor for Satisfactory Academic Progress at the end of each term. Students may regain eligibility to the Hazlewood Exemption if/when they complete a term in compliance with SB1210 requirements or by submitting an Exemption/Waiver Financial Aid Suspension Appeal Form and being approved based on medical reasons, due to the death of direct family member, or other special circumstances. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.