Transfer of Courses to Senior Colleges

The hours earned at North Central Texas College in academic courses are generally accepted by other accredited colleges and universities to satisfy specific course requirements or to count as electives. Students who have gained proficiency through completion of course work from non-accredited institutions should consult the Provost regarding individual course evaluation.

Students planning to transfer to a four-year school, or other community college, should be aware that each school determines its own list of courses required for a particular kind of degree. Moreover, different colleges do not require all the same courses for the same major. Therefore, knowledge of the degree plan requirements at the institution to which the student plans to transfer is very important. Students can start to research these requirements by visiting the NCTC Transfer web page to access Transfer Guides for major universities, as well as Academic Pathways which outline the suggested courses you need to take for your intended college major.

NCTC counselors and advisors are familiar with course requirements at transfer colleges and will be glad to assist students in determining course equivalency and in choosing those courses which are appropriate to their educational objectives after they transfer.

Resolution of Transfer Disputes
For Lower Division Courses

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has established the following policy to resolve disputes over transfer credit involving lower-division courses by public institutions of higher education.

The following procedures shall be followed:

  1. If any institution of higher education does not accept course credit earned by a student at another institution of higher education, the receiving institution shall give written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of the course credit is denied.
  2. The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the transfer of the course credit in accordance with Board rules and/or guidelines.
  3. If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days after the date the student received written notice of denial, the institution whose credit is denied for transfer shall notify the Commissioner of the denial.

The Commissioner of Higher Education or the Commissioner's designee shall make the final determination about the dispute concerning the transfer of course credit and give written notice of the determination to the involved student and institutions.