SKIP TO PAGE CONTENT

History


North Central Texas College, formerly Cooke County College, was established in 1924 with Randolph Lee Clark as its first president. A pioneer in Texas education, Clark is honored with an official Texas Historical Commission Marker on campus.

The college was operated as an extension of the Gainesville Independent School District until May 7, 1960, at which time the voters of Cooke County approved the expansion of the district to include all of Cooke County. As the college grew, its name was changed from Gainesville Junior College to Gainesville College and then to Cooke County Junior College (in 1960). The “junior” was dropped soon thereafter and, reflecting its expanded role as a true comprehensive community college, Cooke County College officially became North Central Texas College in June 1994.