Taking on the FAFSA doesn’t have to be intimidating. Just think of it in two easy steps.
- 1. Gather needed documents.
- 2. Fill it out and submit it.
Gather Needed Documents
You, and your parents if applicable, should have the following records available to help you answer questions on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
- • Your Social Security card
- • Your driver’s license
- • Your Permanent Resident Receipt Card (if applicable)
- • Your W-2 forms and other records of money earned
- • Your income tax return
- • Records of veterans’ benefits
- • Records of child support paid
Records of taxable earnings from Federal Work-Study or other need-based work programs
- • Records of student grants, scholarships, and fellowship aid, including AmeriCorps awards that were included in your (or your parents’) AGI
- • Current stocks, bonds, and other investment records
- • Current business and farm records
- • Current bank statements
Dependent students should have all the records listed above from their parents, except for their driver’s licenses.
You may still submit your FAFSA if you do not have all of the information required, but your FAFSA must be complete prior to you being awarded any financial aid package. Additionally, you may be required to provide the Financial Aid Office a copy of such documents. (See “Verification.”)
Fill it out and submit it!
After needed documents are gathered, click on the link to complete the online FAFSA.
Before you submit the FAFSA application a PIN number will need to be created in order to submit the application. This can be done on the last page of the FAFSA application. If you are a dependent student, one of your parents will also need to create a PIN to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web.
Already have a PIN, but forgot your PIN number? REQUEST A DUPLICATE PIN!
NEW FAFSA TIPS:
- Use the IRS DATA Retrieval Tool (transfers taxes from IRS into FAFSA) in the income section of the FAFSA application for student and parent (if applicable). Doing this facilitate faster processing.
- Provide different e-mail addresses for both student and parent (if applicable). This is how we contact the student for verification and award notices.
PARENTS WHO HAVE MORE THAN ONE CHILD ENROLLED AT NCTC PLEASE READ: If you have more than one child enrolled at NCTC and will fill out the FAFSA, make sure the parent e-mail is DIFFERENT for each of your children. This will facilitate a smoother verification process.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are an undocumented student (you don't have a social security number or alien registration number), please visit the Financial Aid Office to receive the necessary paperwork to apply for Financial Aid.
Remember, completing and submitting a FAFSA is FREE! In fact, charging students and/or parents a fee for completing and/or submitting the FAFSA is prohibited by law.
North Central Texas College Federal School code is 003558.